Many of us agree to disagree that legalizing Pot is a good idea. The pro- and anti-marijuana camps each have studies and statements from medical and government officials to back up their cases. Below are the general pros and cons for legalizing marijuana. Tell us what you think?
• Pot is safer and less addictive than alcohol and cigarettes.
• There are medical benefits; it eases pain and curbs nausea.
• Regulating its sale would provide tax revenue for the state.
• Sending fewer people to jail would ease crowded court and prison systems.
• Young people who made a mistake wouldn’t have criminal records.
• Marijuana use should be a personal choice.
• Legalization, even for medicinal purposes, undercuts the message that drugs are dangerous.
• Smoking causes cancer, whether it’s marijuana or tobacco.
• Long-term use lowers IQ and lessens motivation among young people.
• It affects memory, coordination, perception and learning.
• The long-lasting effects could affect workplace productivity or driving well after use.
• Marijuana is a gateway drug that will lead to harder drug use.